Two more Trash Polka-inspired cards

Two more Trash Polka-inspired cards

Hello friends! When I found out the theme of the the Rediscover Your Supplies February Instagram Hop (#rediscoveryoursupplies) of florals, I instantly knew that I needed to combine it with Altenew's February 2023 Inspiration Challenge for the colors use some sprays from Altenew to have them drip down the background, so I also decided to share them over at Try it on Tuesday's Let's Get Messy challenge this week. These cards were also inspired by Trash Polka tattoo designs that I learned about while taking Jaycee Gaspar's Transcending Tattoo Techniques online card class from Altenew--a class I return to when I am looking for inspiration and can't recommend enough to crafters.


Supplies used:


 Card #1

As I said above, when I found out this month's theme for #rediscoveryoursupplies, I instantly decided that I had to tie it to Altenew's current color challenge of pinks, red and purple and saw dripping ink in the background. As I was going through my stash, I found my unopened Botanical Silhouettes stamp set and decided to use it as the background pattern behind the focal flower and decided to play with a Trash-polka style that I am still obsessed with after taking the Altenew Academy class.

I started this first card by stamping the focal flower and leaves from Altenew's Build-A-Flower: Fashion Monger Dahlia layering stamp and die set with Nocturne VersaFine Clair ink on watercolor paper and then heat embossed them with Nocturne VersaFine Clair ink. The leaves were colored in with two different gray Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers, while the flower was painted with Cosmic Berry, Puffy Heart and Ruby Red Crisp Dye Inks mixed with Altenew's Iridescent Shimmer Ink Spray. After everything had dried, I die cut the flower and leaves with their corresponding dies. They were set aside.

Next came the background panel. I ink smooshed  Puffy Heart mixed with more Iridescent Shimmer Ink Spray on a piece of acetate onto a watercolor paper panel, and then directly added a couple drops of Altenew's Cosmic Berry Metallic Shimmer Ink Spray onto the panel before spraying the panel with Iridescent Shimmer Ink Spray to help move the color and let it drip down the panel. I then used my heat tool to help it dry. It was then die cut with the second-largest stitched rectangular die from Gina K Design's Master Layout 2 die set. I then stamped the interior (?) stamp or the circular floral stamp without the outline from Altenew's Botanical Silhouettes stamp set onto the center right part of the background with Altenew's Puffy Heart Crisp Dye Ink. I then added some washi tape vertically on the left side of the panel--Altenew's Many Dots washi tape roughly ripped on the left and right edges as well as the top and bottom, Altenew's Golden Stream washi tape ripped roughly on the top and bottom, and black glitter washi tape ripped roughly around all of the edges. The sentiment came from the same Botanical Silhouettes stamp set, stamped on the bottom right of the panel with Altenew's Permanent Black Crisp Dye Ink. Before moving on, I splattered some more of the gray Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers mixed with water as well as gold watercolor from my Gansai Tambi's Starry Colors watercolor set onto the panel.

Then I turned to the matte layer, which was die cut out of Tonic Studio's Black Velvet Craft Perfect cardstock with the largest die from Gina K Design's Master Layout 2 die set. The two panels were glued together.

The Fashion Monger Dahlia leaves and flower die cuts were glued onto the center of the card--the leaves directly onto the panel over the washi tape, and the flower was glued onto two layers of scrap cardstock for dimension before gluing the whole thing over the leaves and the Botanical Silhouettes stamped image. Black and white sequins from Catherine Pooler's London sequin mix were glued onto the bottom left corner of the top panel and just above and to the right of the flower. Finally, the whole thing was glued onto an A2-sized white card base.

Card #2

This card was made in a very similar fashion as the first. I got a little extra into the dripped background, and I switched the background stamp from the Botanical Silhouettes stamp set to the doughnut/outline stamp and this time used two inks on this stamp before stamping--Altenew's Puffy Heart Crisp Dye Ink on the inside parts of the stamp, and Cosmic Berry Crisp Dye Ink on the outline/outside part of the stamp. In addition, I decided to add some different tapes on the left side of the card--this time I used more of the Altenew's Many Dots washi tape (roughly ripped on all sides), gold glitter washi tape (again, roughly ripped on all sides), and some thin double-sided tape that I used to adhere some purple "waste" foil over the Many Dots washi tape. The rest of the card's elements are the same as the first one's.

Thanks for reading!


  1. Such a beautiful card! I love the messy background that you created with the ink Sparky's, splatters, drips, stamping and washi tape - amazing ๐Ÿ˜Š. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday! Hugs, Jo x

  2. Loving the colours on this card! A great messy background too and thanks for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesday!

  3. These are both beautifully messy! Thanks for joining us at Try It On Tuesday, Chrisxx


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Craft Creations April Theme: Humor!

Crafty Hazelnut's Patterned Paper December Challenge

Squirrel Appreciation Day!