Atlantic Hearts Sketch #461
Atlantic Hearts Sketch #461
Hello all! The current challenge at the Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge (#461) is a very versatile one, and hope you are inspired to play along. I have been working through a variety of classes at Altenew Academy, and I decided to practice with one of the techniques I was reminded of while watching Laurel Beard's Background Magic class while making these two cards and share the card over at Altenew's Inspiration February Challenge. I hope you join us this week for this challenge.
Dies: Gina K Design's Master Layout 2, stitched circle die in my stash
Paper: Altenew's Alcohol Ink Backgrounds 6x6 paper pack, Ombre 12" x 12" Specialty paper (ombre glitter cardstock) from Stampin' Up!, watercolor paper, patterned paper in my stash
Ink: Pine Needle Distress Ink, Lucky Clover and Wilted Violet Distress Oxides, Altenew's Wisteria and Hydranges Crisp Dye Ink (from the Enchanted Garden Crisp Dye Ink set), Nocturne and Purple Delight VersaFine Claire ink
Altenew's Mango Smoothie and Emerald Watercolor Brush Markers
Sequins: Catherine Pooler's Phoenix sequin mix
Altenew's Instant Dimension Foam Tape
The background dots of this card were created by dabbing a variety of purple inks onto Altenew's Watercolor Dots stamp set: Wilted Violet Distress Oxides, Altenew's Wisteria and Hydrangea Crisp Dye Ink, and Purple Delight VersaFine Claire ink. My MISTI was essential for this, as I would dab a few dots with one ink pad, close my MISTI to stamp a piece of watercolor paper, and then repeating the process with other inks. After I had stamped all of the dots, I added Ranger's Holographic embossing powder over all of the stamped dots. The dots that were stamped with the Distress Oxide and the VersaFine Claire inks held onto the embossing powder. I then heat embossed the embossing powder on those dots. This panel was trimmed with the second-largest stitched rectangular die from the Gina K Design's Master Layout 2 die set and set aside. A piece of purple patterned paper in my stash was trimmed with the largest die from the Gina K die set, and the purple intensified by directly applying Purple Delight VersaFine Claire ink around the edges, adding more Holographic embossing powder over the ink, and heat embossing the whole thing. To add dimension to both the top (dotted) panel and the purple matte layer, I die cut two pieces of scrap cardstock with each of the dies and gluing the scrap layers behind the dotted and purple panels so that each consisted of three layers. This was all set aside to dry.
Next, multiple roses from Altenew's Bamboo Rose stamp set were stamped onto more watercolor paper with Nocturne VersaFine Claire ink and again heat embossed with more of Ranger's Holographic embossing powder. They were each watercolored using Mango Smoothie and Emerald Watercolor Brush Markers from Altenew. After the watercolor dried, the roses were die cut with their corresponding dies.
The central circle die cut was created by die cutting a piece of purple Ombre 12" x 12" Specialty paper (ombre glitter cardstock) from Stampin' Up! with a stitched circle die in my stash.
Before assembling the card, the hello sentiment from Altenew's Paint-A-Flower: Lotus Outline stamp set was stamped on the bottom left part of the dotted panel with more of the Nocturne VersaFine Claire ink. (The placement was based on where we would be able to see the sentiment.) After stamping, I again heat embossed with more Ranger's Holographic embossing powder.
To assemble the card, I added three washi tapes in my stash--green, purple and yellow--to match the sketch and continue the color scheme of the Altenew challenge. The edges of the washi tape were trimmed to neatly end at the edges of the dotted panel. The sparkly circle die cut was glued over the washi tape and in the center of the stitched rectangle. I added the three roses on the right side of the sparkly circle with Altenew's Instant Dimension Foam Tape to try to balance out the sentiment. Very light yellow and clear sequins from Catherine Pooler's Phoenix sequin mix were glued to match the sketch and to bring out the yellow roses. At this point, I decided to directly apply more of Altenew's Hydrangea Crisp Dye Ink around the border of the dotted panel. Finally, the dotted panel was glued to the purple matte layer and then the whole thing was glued onto an A2-sized white card base.
This card was created in a very similar manner to the first, with a few changes. These include using some different inks on the dotted background, specifically adding in some greens (Pine Needle Distress Ink and Lucky Clover Distress Oxide) to the purple dots. The center circle came from Altenew's Alcohol Ink Backgrounds 6x6 paper pack, and was given a gold border by heat embossing around the edge of the circle with Ranger's Gold embossing powder. And finally, the background matte layer was directly inked with more of the Pine Needle Distress Ink and some Lucky Clover Distress Oxide on the edges of both panels so more Holographic embossing powder could be added for sparkle.
We hope you are able to join us over at Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge to play along with us this week. Thanks for reading!